38. As a host I am concerned for the well-being and safety of a young WWOOFer who is staying with me. What should I do?

If you are worried about a WWOOFer aged 16-18, it is particularly important that you talk to someone about it. Don’t ignore uneasiness or delay taking action.

It isn’t necessary to be absolutely certain of what has been seen or heard to call a local children’s social care team. Information is usually gathered from many sources, and your report could form one part of a bigger picture. That said, a small piece of information could be the missing piece needed, so it is very important.

The following agencies can be contacted for specialist advice or support, depending on the severity of the situation…

  • Call 999 if there is immediate risk of harm to the WWOOFer or host and his/her family
  • Call your County Council First Response Team/Local Safeguarding Children Board (LSCB). They will listen and decide on the appropriate course of action.
  • Call the NSPCC on 0808 800 5000 (free service, lines open 24 hours a day). They will listen, offer advice and support and can take action if a young person is in danger. Concerns can be reported anonymously. For further information or to report a concern online visit: www.nspcc.org.uk/what-you-can-do/report-abuse/


Please see our safeguarding page for further advice and guidance on this topic. You may also choose to contact WWOOF UK directly using info@wwoof.org.uk