Living & Learning On Organic Farms: Your Introduction To Learning As A Volunteer On An Organic Farm
The LLOOF: Your Introduction To Learning As A Volunteer On An Organic Farm is a free downloadable pdf. A must read for anyone wishing to learn practical and sustainable ways in which to grow food, and of course, anybody planning to go WWOOFing anywhere in the world.
Living and Learning On Organic Farms - better known as LLOOF - was officially launched in the Republic of Ireland on 23rd May 2016.
LLOOF is a partnership project with national WWOOF organisations from ten European countries. It has developed and is promoting a Learning Guide as an online open educational resource (OER) for adult learners about organic food production, entrepreneurship, volunteering and cultural exchange on farm enterprises. The adults, especially 18-34 year olds, can then relate this online learning to practical residential work experience and informal learning on a range of small enterprises in different European countries. A key aim of the LLOOF project is to encourage and support new young entrants to farming.
- Managing soils and composts
- Growing vegetables, fruits, nuts and herbs
- Managing grassland, including weeds and boundaries
- Managing crops, including water, weeds, pests and diseases
- Managing livestock, including sheep, goats, pigs, cattle, horses
- Managing small livestock, including poultry and bees
- Preserving and processing farm products
- Using and maintaining hand tools
- Building in earth, stone, wood and straw
- Working with other people
- Setting up a small farming or processing enterprise