A paid opportunity exists on a 25 acre market garden, in the early stages of development, near Okehampton.
We are a no-dig Market Garden (Soil Association certified) on the edge of Dartmoor supplying the local area with organic salad, veg, fruit, flowers and eggs. We specialise in producing a flavoursome highly nutritious and unique salad mix containing a wide variety of leaves, flowers and herbs.
Growing veg is part of a bigger land-based project using agroforestry and permaculture techniques; we are also very keen in developing educational opportunities as well as campaigning around sustainable food production and good nutrition based on real foods and good farming.
We are looking for a hard-working, enthusiastic support worker who is passionate about good food and interested in no-dig to join our growing team for eight-months from mid-February- mid October 2017 (potential for extension and/or future co-operation for the right person).
We offer accommodation in a large tidy and comfy caravan plus £50 per week as a living allowance and plenty of good, healthy organic food (veg, fruit, meat produced to highest standard, staples). Possibility of further income through our small shop.
In return we ask for the support worker to work five days a week, for approx. 7 hours a day to be enthusiastic, practical and willing to learn and contribute to a hard working team.
Responsibilities will include:
- Plant care: Sowing, watering, planting, transplanting, hand weeding
- Livestock: looking after poultry (daily egg collection, mucking out, feeding, etc)
- Ground preparation (creating new raised beds, composting, mulching, etc)
- Farm infrastructure (fencing, building new hen houses, polytunnel doors, etc)
- Woodland management (coppicing, cutting wood, woodchipping, etc)
- Land management (scything, planting trees, bramble clearing, mulching, etc)
- Harvesting and packing produce
- Physically fit and able to work on all weathers
- Happy to follow instructions
- Able to work on your own as well as with other staff and volunteers
- Able to adhere to procedures and standards as explained
- Interest in no-dig methods
- An appreciation of wildlife and the wild nature of the land would be valuable; and an interest in nutrition and real food would be ideal.
- Land-based work experience and advantage
WWOOFers can see more about us by looking at our host profile ID#62369, otherwise have a look at the website for our small farm shop (which we are in the process of transforming into a workers co-op) at: http://harvestfarmshop.wixsite.com/harvestfarmshop
Applicants should send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org outlining why you are interested in the position - what experience you have in market gardening or other land-based skills and what is your interest in food and nutrition.
The deadline for applications is Monday 30th January.
Please feel free to circulate the position to other interested individuals and get in touch if you have any questions about this opportunity.